Monday, November 9, 2009

Too much coffee

Unasked-For Advice to my daughter, struggling with too much coffee:

I've had to cut down (to zero, now) on coffee, and was miserable. It is like what I have heard about smoking: It's physically addictive, it's psychologically comforting, and it's physically pleasurable. So if one need doesn't get you back to doing it, another will.

I have been surprised to find that caffeine pills (available in bottles of 200mg tabs at Walgreens, next to the far more expensive NoDoz) completely take the edge off the problem. I find I can take a large quantity of them before I get really jangly, but even small amounts do the wake-up job of caffeine extremely well. By taking them with a non- or low-caffeine drink that gives some of the pleasures of coffee, it is much easier to not drink actual coffee.

I've done this for many years. Now I take them with Kaffree Roma (which is an acquired taste, but I have grown to love it), but any form of tea or of coffee substitute works fine. They solve what I want coffee to do extremely well. I have to be very careful about my use as 2-3PM comes around, because of my sleep, but until then I'm fine.

No comments: