Tuesday, March 23, 2010

My Harold/Mickey-mania Knows No Shame

My encounter with Venus Williams:

I've been really amused (I'm easily amused) that Venus Williams' beloved havanese Harold (video here) looks identical to our Mickey. I have seen two near-misses, but I've never seen another who looks as exactly like him. Mickey, and thus Harold, are very unusual looking Havanese.

I've been spending the week at Key Biscayne (like earning CEUs for my tennis license). I was watching Caroline Wozniaki, now world #2, warming up when some kids said that Venus was on the next court over, and she had her dog on the court. So I raced over, and there was Harold, in the flesh. I got pictures.

When Venus walked off the court, she had to steel herself. That's because there were like 200 teenagers & preteens clustered around trying to get autographs and pictures, and there was no way she could deal with it. I had my camera with me, and realized I had a great picture of Mickey on it. So I stood away from the mob, on the path I figured she would have to take. As she walked by, followed by all those kids, I said, "My Havanese Mickey looks exactly like Harold, look". She stopped cold, did a double-take, grabbed my camera (it was very sunny and she needed to get a good angle), and then gushed, "Oh, he is so cute!". Gave me back my camera.

By the way, this is a very large woman. Did you know that? As in, she towered over me.

Below is the picture of Mickey I showed her, three pictures of Harold looking out from his carrier as Venus was going to pick everything up, and a couple of pictures of Venus & Harold from the web (if the video didn't convince you he looks exactly like Mickey). Oh, yeah, a couple of pictures I took of Wozniacki, for good measure.





http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0024/6862/files/610x.jpg
http://dogdailynews.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/venus-harold.jpg


No comments: